On Sat, 05 May 2001 16:47:35 +1000, Don Ingram wrote:

>> >Does anybody have any comments on the Tasking purchase? Any fears?
>> >
>> >Protel CSC, any comments, official statements, any promises?
>> >
>> > My fear is that it will severely impact the ongoing development and
>> >support of the existing SCH & PCB design package. Seems Protel wants a
>tool
>> >for all seasons, flavors and every electronics company worldwide. Is that
>> >possible with their meager means or are we doomed to falling support
>levels
>> >for the SCH and PCB aspects of their offerings? Will new development and
>> >improvements be overtaxed with non SCH or PCB matters?
>>
>> I was a little surprised. I don't see that Schematic capture and PCB CAD
>> are in any way related to compilers for embedded systems other than
>> customers for one will often be potential customers for the other.
>>
>Combine VHDL + Schematic front end + PCB + MCU Compiler & you have a mighty
>little package for working on SOC ( System on Chip - Briefly : A fast AVR
>with a FPGA ) designs.

Combined in what way? Personally I write HDL (verilog), draw schematics,
layout PCBs, and write embedded software - I doubt many Protel customers do
all that as individuals although many will as companies. What use is a VHDL
or C compiler to a guy like...

Brad Velander,
Lead PCB Designer,

?

While I might like to be able to buy those tools at a reasonable price I
would not like to see HDL or C compilers integrated in Design explorer - Or
at least I would be totally amazed if Protel managed to do it and I liked
the result.

>Prottle signed up with Atmel recently for tool development & Atmel are

Yes I forget the recent deal with Atmel (whatever it is).

Cheers, Terry.

* To join or leave this list visit: