OK....got it now!

Saving as an ASCII (V2.8) file as per Ian's recommendation but couldn't find
the record that corresponded to the locked (or other) attributes.

Exported to a spreadsheet, massaged the data and after a bit of trial and
error re-importing got it all working again. Thanks Clive.

Never having used the spreadsheet import/export before I found a couple of
anomolies that needed to be overcome.
1. The SS server would not display a drag handle on selected cells, although
this is not the case when BOM files are generated. Ended up using copy/paste
to set the appropriate cells to TRUE
2. Before finding the UPDATE button in the SS server, I attempted to use the
PCB_SS:Import process (assumed it was the opposite to PCB_SS:Export). It
didn't work and seems to have no help file associated with it.

Thanks again guys...learnt some new features of Protel again today :)
This list and all its contributors are worth their weight in gold.

LINDEN DOYLE
Product Development Engineer
Zener Electric Pty Ltd

[EMAIL PROTECTED]