Linden,

What happens if you Save-As the file as an ASCII file and open the file in
a text editor?  You should be able to find a record for each component
designator (it will be a "Record=Text") - search for a suitably unique
designator.  Is there a "locked=true" section to the record (or something
similar)? (I just did a quick test and I think you will find that each
designator record will be marked as Locked=True.  I was able to simulate
the effect you are seeing by locking a Record=Text which was a designator
(Designator=True).)

If so find all the lines with (Designator=True and Locked=True) to
Locked=False.  Save and try again.

For this sort of change you may find that an editor that supports regular
expressions is helpful.  Alternatively write a macro in Word or similar to
do the change.  A perl script?  Manual if there are not too many components.

This is one of my more garbled responses - how you do not end up
excessively confused...
Ian Wilson