On 10:28 AM 10/07/2001 +1000, Linden Doyle said:
>OK....got it now!
>
>Saving as an ASCII (V2.8) file as per Ian's recommendation but couldn't find
>the record that corresponded to the locked (or other) attributes.

It works if you save as an ASCII V3 format (not V2.8 format) - then you
will see all the records and the Locked=True for the text records that are
designators (also have the Designator=True field). Then you should be able
to find records something like (for designator "C14"):
Record=Text|...|Locked=True|...|Text=C14|...|Designator=True
All on the one line and with the '...' meaning other fields that I can't
recall.  I tried it - changing from Locked=False to True worked for me.

The spread function is definitely one of those Protel functions that works
well when you can work it well but can be a nightmare of confusion until
you work out that you have to keep your Protel session and be careful in
what happens to the magic handle in your manipulations.  For complex
manipulations I have cut and pasted data from the Protel SS into Excel,
manipulated as required and then copy and pasted back into the same Protel
SS session and the updated the PCB/Sch.  (I love the spread export/import
functionality.)  I didn't think that the SS export included the locked
state for the designator string - should have checked, glad Clive did.

Glad you got it sorted.

Ian