thanks guys,

to be honest, i have no idea what my problem was.  before i post here
i always repeat the process i'm talking about to make sure that i'm not
leaving something out.  and i ALWAYS go thru the index in the manual
and try a few things before posting.

the process that i described that wasn't working works fine now.  i don't
even need to click in the window first.  as soon as i do the edit/copy,
the cursor pops to the window with a copy of the first part.

too early in the morning... not enough coffee.  i apologize.

thanks again, miker