At 05:40 PM 9/3/01 +1000, Don Ingram wrote:
>Just got PCB Fab Magazine & noticed that they are running 10 micron wide
>traces.
>
>Better make the virtual shorts way less than the customary 1mil

The "customary" gap for virtual shorts based on unfabricatable gaps is on
the order of 4 micro-inches, which is already 250 times smaller than 1 mil.
There are numerous barriers in the way of the appearance of an actual gap;
the greatest hazard is that the fabricator sees the microgap and enlarges
it, thinking that it was intended to be larger. For this reason using a
mech layer overlay to implement the short may be superior.

However, I think, with proper photoplot settings the gap should not make it
into the gerbers, so fabrication accuracy would be irrelevant.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Abdulrahman Lomax
Easthampton, Massachusetts USA