At 04:34 PM 9/21/01 -0500, Mark E Witherite wrote:
>I was going to let the group how I made out with the virtual short I was
>planing on using on my internal planes.  After a short discussion We
>decided not to do it.  Our main concern was there was no way to test the
>PCB to be sure that the nets were tied at one and only one place.  We when
>with the zero ohm resistor.

Right, or any kind of jumper. A zero-ohm resistor is very cheap and can be
machine assembled. The virtual short is, schematically, the same thing, but
is to be used where one wants the short to be implemented without further
assembly. No question, it presents a testing problem, for a short somewhere
else may cause very subtle problems, the proverbial system failure when the
police outside use their radar gun, the once in 4 trillion operations
glitch, etc.

But there are ways to test such a thing, it is just, I think, not
practical, much easier to guarantee a single point of connection by forcing
it in assembly not in board fab.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Abdulrahman Lomax
Easthampton, Massachusetts USA