hello,

well another embarrassing newbie question from someone who should
no better.

production is having trouble getting some heat sinks to stay "glued" to
the solder mask on some prototype boards.  the decision has been
made to not use a solder mask.  the boards will be conformal coated
anyway.

so how do i eliminate the solder mask?  i know that pads are tented by
using a negative value equal to the largest pad.  my guess is that i can
do a design/rules/manufacturing tab, double click the solder mask ex-
pansion and use a whole board scope with -1mil expansion on it.  is this
correct?  more so, is this the way to do it?  i played with this and looked
at the top and bottom solder layers (not the gerbers) using the single
layer mode and i don't see anything but the pads no matter what i do to
it.

i also entertained the thought of right-clicking on the pcb, selecting
options/board options/layers tab/ and then simply unclicking the top and
bottom solder, but i'm skeptical of this... i think all this does is control
the layers that are displayed.

i apologize for posting on such a basic issue, but i could not find the
answer in the book, and guessing makes me nervous when we're
talking about actually placing an order.

thank you, miker