Hello everyone:

I have created a footprint for a TO-3 NPN transistor. The TO-3 can as you
may be aware has two mounting holes, in my case these two mounting holes are
attached to the collector of the transistor. I have a pad for each mounting
hole which I have labelled pad 3 and pad 4. Now when I create my schematic
symbol for this part, I am supposed to use the standard NPN transistor
symbol, which only has 3 pins (E-1,B-2,C-3). If I want to display a 4th pin
and connect it to the collector on my symbol, I end up with an odd looking
transistor symbol, that know one will understand or appreciate. If I hide
pin 4, as someone suggests, then I can not hook it up to the desired net. If
I omit pin 4 from the schematic and reload the netlist into the pcb, the
program will attempt to disconnect pin 4 from it's net, and if I manually
connect it I will get a DRC error. I would like the schematic and pcb to
match with no netlist hickups. I do not see anyway around this problem,
other than to live with the DRC error, or create an additional pin on the
schematic symbol, neither of which seem a very elegant solution. Perhaps I
should suggest to Protel that with their new version, they allow a single
pin to be assigned to more than one pad. In fact it would be very useful to
have a single pad assigned to different nets with no DRC error, in order to
form a star point gnd. Any comments or suggests would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Daniel Webster
PCB Designer
Northern Airborne Technology