This question, how to deal with multiple pads for a single schematic pin,
has been asked many, many times. There are three basic ways to deal with it:

(1) Modify the schematic symbol
        (a) to add a visible extra pin.
        (b) to add another pin in the same position as the first. This *must* not
be a hidden pin or it will create a global power net. However, its name and
number may be hidden. It will cause a tie dot to appear, which is
considered harmless or mildly beneficial.

(2) Name the pads in the footprint, that are to share a single schematic
pin, the same. The synchronizer correctly handles this, it will assign the
net to as many pins as share the same refdes and pin name. Netlist load
*almost* handles this correctly, I won't go into the details because you
should be using the synchronizer if you can.

(3) Use a non-pad primitive, a via, in the footprint for the extra pin.
Manually assign it the correct net or use the Update process (under
Design/Netlist Manager/Menu).

If you are using a non-Protel netlist, it is recommended to process it
through an update utility that makes controlled substitutions, deletions,
and additions to the netlist. I wrote such a utility in Quickbasic years
ago to deal with exactly this problem. So my utility would add the extra
pin to the net list, and the update control file would be provided to the
engineer with a recommendation that he modify the schematic. The same
process was used for gate swaps and the like.

One respondent in this thread suggested that Protel provide a means to
assign multiple nets to the same pad. I am strongly opposed to this. Every
pad should have an unambiguous net. What is needed for star grounds and the
like is a means of allowing a *single* point short between two or more
nets. We already have two ways of doing this which have elsewhere been
described in detail.
PCAD has a device called a tienet, which, as I recall, is a polygon
attribute allowing a polygon to be connected to more than one net. I
consider the methods we already have to be superior, because they are
schematic-controlled (through a non-BOM jumper component), which is desireable.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Abdulrahman Lomax
Easthampton, Massachusetts USA