At 04:39 PM 10/22/01 -0700, Dwight Harm wrote:
>I have a board that was mostly auto-routed.  I'm finishing it up, and find
>that if I have "automatically remove loops" checked, when I finish manually
>routing a net (right-clicking once), any vias I put down in the process are
>deleted!  If I turn OFF loop removal, the vias remain.  The problem occurs
>both when re-routing an existing trace, and when routing an unrouted net.

Via removal when the reroute rips up existing track connected to it is
expected behavior. However, sometimes vias are ripped up that leave, as a
result, open nets. I'm not sure just what conditions cause this, but if a
new route begins at the via, I don't think that the via is ripped up.
Definitely, one wants loop removal on when cleaning up track.

I suggest playing a bit with the process, learning what conditions cause
ripup and what do not, and preferentially route in a way that does not rip
up vias. I know this is possible because my experience is that vias often
do not rip up. Or replace the via after it is removed, which is pretty easy.

Turning off loop removal will cause more work than will be saved, because,
presumably, vias are only being ripped up when one is rerouting track, and
using loop removal is *much* faster than the old delete-old-place-new process.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Abdulrahman Lomax
Easthampton, Massachusetts USA