I've seen a mechanism for achieving this recently on another tool. You can
add run-time attributes to each gate such as "GROUP=FPGA1" and then during
annotation only parts with compatible attributes can/will be put together.
This could also be very useful for defining components in isolated regions
ie. "REGION=ISOLATED 5V" or some such. I'm not sure, but I think that the
Protel database structure should be able to handle another field(s) -
perhaps there's a DDB expert who could comment...

Doug