Protel does do this, BUT it will mess up (or actually it doesn't take into
account) the order within a grouping.

Use the "group parts together if match by" checkboxes. The default is "part
type" but if you put some text in a part field and check the corresponding
box, it will keep those parts together during annotation. It will get you
close, but you'll need to review all of them to make sure they are in the
order you expect.

I've been wishing for an update to this for a long time. I constantly use
dual op-amps with a separate symbol for the power pins and want to define
the parts so they don't get mixed up. If they added a sort capability on the
matching text, we could have three string that varied with a final number
and it would annotate them precisely and deterministically instead of the
almost random fashion currently. (Actually I think they do it based on time
of placement and obviously position.

Tony