Is Protel trying to recover from the purchasing of companies?
Are they having a lot of customer support calls?

If a s/w is well design, you wouldn't have to refer to the manual.
If the manual is written well & easy to find info., you wouldn't have to
call technical support.
If they don't have a lot of customer support calls, the maintenance fee is
not needed.

After using the s/w yourself, you know the answers.

I think they should continue give free technical support as a measure how
well they are design their s/w.  Only the small and start up company can't
afford to pay for maintenance but they would be the best one to give you
feed back on how friendly your s/w are.

Best Wishes,
Phan