At 08:42 PM 10/31/01 -0600, Mark Gavett wrote:
>This is exactly why I switched from the Accel Technologies group (Tango)
>to Protel.  What service packs has Protel offered to Protel 98 owners any
>way - zip

No, there were two, as I recall. Yes, there remained issues that were not
addressed in those service packs. The release of Protel 99 or 99SE, I don't
remember exactly when it was, ended further Service Packs for P98.

>   This was the reason I bought 98 and then was forced to purchase 99
> before any bugs were fixed and then SE before it worked.

No, Mr. Gavett was not forced. Many users waited before purchasing Protel
99; in fact, the lowest upgrade price ($695) was after some delay. Those
who purchased 99 at the beginning did get the use of the software for some
months, presumably justifying the difference (they paid $995). The SE
release was free to all 99 users, so Mr. Gavett's comment does not make
sense, perhaps he has forgotten.

>   These are not free service packs as the marketing stated, anyone for a
> legal challenge?

All Service Packs were free. Protel 99 was considered a version upgrade,
including new servers and shell. It wasn't much of a bug fix, per se. The
SE release was a major improvement, and we began recommending that all 98
and prior users upgrade; it appears that most did.

As far as a legal challenge, my opinion is that it would not be successful
in court. But I could be wrong; further, the very fact of a user lawsuit
could get Altium's attention. I think the time is not right for it, and I
hope that the time never comes, but if anyone disagrees, there is always

Some threads on that list are run under formal rules, please read the early
posts in the archive before posting there. In particular, posts with a
subject line "MOTION:(subject of motion)" are reserved for formal process.
Other threads are informal.

>   Looks like a good opportunity to find another upspring company to help
> nurture to software success.

I don't know anything that matches Protel, though the price increases are
shifting the balance somewhat. I do know of some other companies that might
be moving in the right direction.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Abdulrahman Lomax
Easthampton, Massachusetts USA