[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Hi all,
> I just recently changed over to SP6 running on Win2K professional. I tried
> to global edit a schematic part using the selection as the common feature.
> The customary screen saying I was about to change 16 parts OK? yet when I
> clicked yes, nothing changed. Has anyone else experienced this? Is this old
> news and I have just had my head in the clouds?

There are a bunch of things that you need to do to get a global edit to
work on parts.  One is that you need to set 'Change ALL Primitives'
from the long bar at the lower right in the global edit box.  If you leave
it at 'Change FREE Primitives', it will not affect components (parts)
but only other items on the sheet (lines, net labels, etc.).  That is most
likely what happened.  There are other settings (selected, footprint,
type, descriptor, etc.) that can prevent a global edit from 'taking'.
But, I think it would be the free/all primitives that would cause it to show
the number of objects to be changed, and then change none of them.

One other possible cause is text string substitution.  let's say you select
some parts, and then in the part type field you entered {abc=def} but
no part types in selected components had the string "abc" in them.
You would also see the number of objects to be changed equal to the
number selected, but nothing would be changed, due to no string
matching the pattern "abc".

Jon