At 01:38 PM 11/15/01 +1300, Wayne Bickers wrote:
>Create BOM in CSV format,
>Export from ddb,
>Open in Excel

Right. However, if you want to make edits to the spreadsheet and get them
back into the Schematic or PCB, its a little trickier. I always have some
trouble with it, apparently one must do it exactly right or else it flat
doesn't work.

The original file and the spreadsheet created from it must remain open.
(Note that if you have not changed the source file, you could recreate the
spreadsheet later, so you don't really have to accomplish everything in the
same session.

Make sure that you have a index field that you can sort your original
spreadsheet from Protel and the spreadsheet coming back so they are both in
the same order. Copy and paste whatever fields you want to import back from
Excel into the Protel spreadsheet. Then you can update the schematic or pcb
from your Protel spreadsheet. (File/Update, I think, while the spreadsheet
is open will update the source file with information in the spreadsheet).

I had a situation recently where I needed to create a *huge* number of
surface pads and I had no schematic, only a very weird Excel spreadsheet
with names, nets and locations for each pad. I did it through the
spreadsheet.... *Then* I made the library part for the set of pads and then
I brought in the nets, it may have been the same way or through a net list,
I forget.

I don't recall, also, exactly how I created the pads, I may have just made
a pile of pads, the correct number of them, by copy and paste, and then
assigned their locations and names through the spreadsheet. I'm not sure
that one can create pads in the spreadsheet. Somewhere I have my notes, I
kept some intending to document this process because I thought it might be
of interest to some....

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Abdulrahman Lomax
Easthampton, Massachusetts USA