From: Jon Elson [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, November 16, 2001 4:50 PM
To: Protel EDA Forum
Subject: Re: [PEDA] dual-sided connector footprint ??

Robison Michael R CNIN wrote:

> hello,
>
> i just finished a board that had an connector with little smt-type
> feet, some that contacted with the top, some that contacted with
> the bottom of the board.  i played with getting a footprint with top
> and bottom pads, but it didn't seem to want to cooperate, so i
> ended up hacking it and splitting the connector into two separate
> connectors in the schematic and assigning separate footprints to
> them and merely displacing the bottom one to the bottom side on
> the pcb itself.
>
> i've now got another board to do with the same type of connector,
> only smaller, and i'd like to footprint the thing properly so that it
> is only one connector and has top and bottom surface pads.
>
> is this possible?  could someone give me a hint on how to do it.

I'd look in the library for card edge connectors.  These have
essentially
the same sort of pad layout as you are talking about.  See how those
are done.  The one problem is that these don't really have a physical
presence on the board, but the pads are there.  Side of the board
doesn't
make as much sense as for a physical component, bu it will swap the
even and odd pads if you flip the part.

Jon