Jeff:

If there is any way you can get your IT dept. to agree to this, do it:

1)  Find a local PC shop that also builds, maintains, and warranties Linux
servers.
2)  Get them to build you a standard white box PC with your choice of CPU,
RAM, video, and storage.
3)  Tell them to load Windows 2000 on it.
4)  Run Autocad and Protel on it.

The reason I say you want to find a local shop that builds Linux servers is
that they know what works reliably.  The guys that build the servers should
be the same ones that carry pagers around and do service calls.  The guys
that build the servers don't want to hear their pagers beeping at 2 a.m.
because some server flaked out.   So, they are going to find the best parts
and build them into the PCs.

For 3 years now we have done this and have had no problems with those PCs.
One is a Win98SE machine, one is our Linux server, and the third is my
current workstation.

The reason I say you want a standard white box PC is that it is easy to
change configuration and upgrade.  The major PC makers (Dell, Compaq, HP)
have the goofiest-looking cases in their quest to be the coolest eye candy.
These cases are proprietary in some way and make it more difficult to modify
and upgrade.  I personally prefer the "truck chassis" concept for PC cases.
With a standard ATX or micro-ATX case, you can use any motherboard you want
(5 PCI, 1 AGP4X), power supply connections are standard, and you've got lots
of drive bays.  My PCs are custom built with exactly the parts I want.  My
latest one has dual-PIII CPU 1 GHz, 60 MB ATA100 HDD, floppy, 2 serial
ports, 1 parallel port, 2 USB, 2 PCMCIA slots, CD-RW, Matrox G450 video
(dual-head), Sound Blaster Live 5.1 sound card, legacy PS/2 mouse, legacy
keyboard, 10/100 ethernet card, Windows 2000 SP2.  Rock stable!  In 5
months, only had 1 W2K crash, and 3 Protel crashes.

Best regards,
Ivan Baggett
Bagotronix Inc.
website:  www.bagotronix.com