Matt,

> Strange thing, first time I run Protel after I edit the ini file,
> it kills the splash screen -- as expected. But if I shut down
> Protel and open it again -- viola! the splash screen is back and
> the ini file has the "DisplaySplashScreen=False" line removed.

Could it be were in the ini file you place the string that is
causing it to be deleted.

The string "DisplaySplashScreen=False" is in the ini file, you
should not have to add it just change it to "False".

Client99SE.INI
*** snip
    Dialog Font Underline=False
    Dialog Font StrikeOut=False
    DisplaySplashScreen=False
    [Open Window 1]

Name=D>MSACCESS:$RP>C:\Protel99\System$RN>Templates.Ddb$OP>$ON>Root$ID>1
$ATTR>0$E>Folder$STF>
    MinX=-1
    MinY=-1
    MaxX=-4
*** snip

I just changed it and opened and closed 99 and the splash screen
is gone. My setup opened very quick before I removed the splash
screen it only took a couple of seconds to open including 3 DDB
files. Hard to tell how much faster it is.

Mind you on my old machine it was very slow to open which is why
I took so long to start using 99. It was a PII 300 with 128Meg
the new machine (now 18 months old) is a PIII 800, 512Meg and
ATA100 7200 rpm drives.

Darren