Jeff Stout wrote:

> [snip]
>
> > At 03:53 PM 11/29/2001 -0600, Jeff Stout wrote:
> > >1. Can I use a hole pair that goes through the prepreg, but
> > >does not go through the core material above or below that
> > >level?  I just don't see how it can be manufactured.
> >
> > No.  At least not to my knowledge.  My understanding of the process is
> that
> > basically you can only use blind vias on cores.  You may not connect cores
> > to one another except with full through-hole vias.

The exception to this is with vendors who use laser drills (similar to
micro-via technology).  The power and duration of the laser pulse
controls how deep the hole goes.  So, there, they can drill blind vias
in a laminated board, but not buried, of course.  Those still have to
be drilled in the cores before the lamination step.

Jon