I just bought and installed an ATI Xpert 128 (16MB) for USD $50. I'm now
running dual monitors under Win2K on a Dell Optiplex GX110 (733 MHz P2) with
integrated video (Intel 82810E chipset), P99SE, 256MB RDRAM.

Executive summary: it rocks!

I have only tested this a little, but so far no problems. Installation was
painless--plugged in the ATI card, W2K did its PnP thing, slipped in the ATI
CD, and there was joy.

The ATI board is driving a 21" Philips at 1600 x 1200 x 16bpp and the
motherboard video drives a 15" KDS at 1024 x 768 x 16bpp. I have the Windows
desktop/taskbar/toolbar on the 15", and P99SE on the 21". With the P99SE
explorer pane closed the PCB completely fills the 21". I suppose if I got
another 21" I could have it so that the explorer pane and schematic is on
one monitor and the PCB on the other. The 15" is really too small for cad
but it lets you use other apps (e.g. Outlook, Word, Excel, Acrobat) while
viewing P99SE full screen.

Full board redraws take about 0.5 seconds, but perhaps my current design
isn't a very good benchmark, it's only 4 layers, 10" x 7", 200 components,
781 pads. I can't tell if this is any faster than before. Does this sound
good?

It seems a little weird working while zoomed out so far. I'd grown
accustomed to zooming out, panning/moving, then zooming back in. Also odd
having to move the mouse so far, sometimes I have to pick up and move the
mouse when moving between monitors. Gotta get a track ball I guess.

What other ways are there to take advantage of two dissimilar displays with
P99SE?

Darryl Newberry
Freedom Scientific
2850 SE Market Pl
Stuart FL 34997
(561) 223-6443 tel
(561) 223-6413 fax
http://www.freedomscientific.com
All information contained or disclosed herein is proprietary and
confidential to Freedom Scientific.
Opinions expressed by the sender do not necessarily reflect Freedom
Scientific corporate policy.