I did this last year when I realized the limitations of Camtastic in merging
separate PCB's.

I had to have separate PCBs, since the front panel controls (switches, rotary
encoder, display) are all different stand off heights. I used the 1mm flex to
interconnect.

What I did was to segregate the separate boards into different sheets and
used the ref des prefix option to discern the different boards. I solid
modeled the enclosure and boards and exported the individual board outlines
to Autocad. I then did the tab routes in Autocad for the multiple boards with
the proper tool radii and mouse bite locations. I also did the butterfly
PICMG PCI/ISA backplane hole locations so I had a guide for the PCB footprint
origins (my clearances/tolerances for positioning were <5mil). I then
imported this 2D composite into Protel's PCB editor.

Since had the proper locations from the solid model's connector locations
(thanks to AMP for including surfaced IGES models on their web site) I was
able to accurately place the proper ref-prefixed designators on the
corresponding boards. I'd double click on an arc/hole location on the
mechanical layer, find out what the coordinates were to be and then placed
the component's PCB footprint at the same location. I've also begun using
L-shaped targets centered on pin 1 and can use the electrical snap to the end
points when I pick up and move the connectors.

Mechanically, the completed assembly fit perfectly in the final sheet metal
1U rack I designed. The sheetmetal agreed perfectly with the completed boards
and I/O cards.

As to ECO's on this design, it was a lot easier than I thought it would be. I
had to make two revisions for the software guys and it was a breeze.

I find that using the solid models to locate the exact position of the parts
worked really well. The combination of Solidworks, Autocad (I prefer it for
the 2D drafting work), and Protel allow me to exactly coordinate the various
aspects of  the product design.