At 02:36 PM 21/12/01 +1100, you wrote:
>I have a 5 sheet project that I was planning to put on one PCB.
>However It has become clear that there is no way all the parts are going to
>fit in the space available.
>
>To solve this I will have to stack 2 PCBs (there are mounting slots provided
>for two PCBs in the enclosure).
>
>The problem is that the most efficient way to do this requires all the
>display parts on one PCB - the rest on the other. Unfortunately this is not
>the way the schematic sheets are arranged. So it will be impossible to get a
>netlist for individual PCBs.
>
>What I was planning to do was draw the two pcbs in one file connected
>together and have a perforation or groove for splitting the two pcbs.
>
>Placing correctly sized vias on a 2.54mm pitch for PCB interconnections on
>both PCBs should allow me to use a  ribbon cable from another one of our
>standard products.
>
>I plan to annotate the schematics showing which parts are on the second PCB.
>
>All this should still be quicker than redrawing the project.
>
>Any one see any problems with this idea? Or a better way of proceeding?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Tom.

I am firmly in the "one sch <=> one PCB" camp myself.

So if it was me I would copy and paste the schematics until I had the
division correct, then I would have to manage two sets of manufacturing
docs and test docs etc etc but I would still do it.  The additional
overhead over what the combined assy would have taken is not great - there
is the same number of components (or close to it) and the overall
complexity is not much greater.

But that is just the way I would do it - maybe a smart panelization and
clever layout will work for you.

Ian Wilson