From: Matt Pobursky [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, January 08, 2002 1:37 AM
To: Protel EDA Forum
Subject: Re: [PEDA] Protel 99 se SP4 on Windows XP Home

Actually, WinXP Pro (Retail) that you get on a pre-built system
or buy over-the-counter also has Windows Product Activation. If
you buy the OS pre-installed, it's already activated for you by
the system assembler (Dell, HP, etc.) Only the Corporate version
is sans the dreaded WPA. The only way I know to *legally* get the
Corporate version is by buying a multi-pack with a corporate site
license. Microsoft knows the corporate world will not buy into
the activation crap, but they do get a few steps further down the
road to a subscription licensing model with the corporate license
agreement.

As was mentioned by some others, WinXP Home is basically the same
as WinXP Pro with a few exceptions. Dual CPU support, some of the
heavier duty networking features, and giving up security features
are the main differences. The main user account runs as
Administrator -- BAD idea Microsoft! -- I guess they figure
consumers are too lazy or stupid to setup user accounts. If I
*had* to run WinXP, it would definitely be the "Pro" version.

Me, I'm sticking with Win2K as long as I possibly can.

Matt Pobursky
Maximum Performance Systems