> At 10:51 AM 1/21/2002 -0500, Matt Polak wrote:
>
> >         It seems that a majority of you are doing some very dense,
> > high-speed layouts with 4-6 layers being quite a common occurrence. I'm
> > just wondering how much you typically route by hand, and how much you let
> > the auto-router whack away at.

I typically do 100 in^2 4 layer designs, with a few 6 layer.  I also do other
ones that range from 4 to 30 in^2, 2 and 4 layer.  I usually let the autorouter

do as much as possible on the multilayer boards, then clean up the mess and
route the remaining traces.  Rediculous routes that run all around the
perimiter
of the board to go only a short distance are common, even with 6 layers.
Maybe my route setup is not correct for the job.  I have done a number
of boards that had a wild mixture of pad pitches, which makes the router's
job a lot harder.

> >         Being primarily self-taught in the ways of Protel, and with the
> > help of a few 'older school' engineer friends here and there, I've done a
> > number of successful design layouts thus far, but these have been
> > relatively simple 2 and 4 layer designs without many small-pitch/high
> > pin-count devices. I'm moving more towards laying out more high-speed
> > designs in the near future where a lot of stuff needs to be fit into a
> > small place, and all connect together without traces and vias meandering
> > all over.

I don't know if letting the autorouter start on this and then fix it up
manually
is a smart way to go.  I guess I just keep hoping the autorouter will do a
great
job someday, but the fixup often takes a while.  If you have a lot of
differential
pairs, terminated lines and mandated trace delays, then maybe a total manual
route is the way to go.  Otherwise, route all critical stuff manually first,
then
let the autorouter complete it.

Jon