At 08:23 AM 1/21/2002 +0100, Edi Im Hof wrote:

><snip<
>>The Protel ASCII database is self-documenting (which is why it can be a
>>*huge* file), but it can be very handy for dealing with obscure problems.
>>All Protel users should be aware that it is possible to directly edit the
>>ASCII database; naturally, one should always keep backups of the database
>>when attempting to edit it directly, because there can be subtle
>>interactions between data elements easily overlooked, and a slip of the
>>keys could make a database unloadable. But there is definitely no harm in
>>using a text editor to find a rogue primitive!!!
>
>I would love to export library files as ascii to!!!
>Protel, are you listening??
>BTW, I hope "Phoenix" still has an ascii export.

So do I. We are seeing some signs that anti-competitive forces within
Altium are gaining the upper hand. Some companies regard the database as
proprietary (which it is) and therefore confidential (which is a separate
step and harmful to customers).

As to exporting library files, schematic library files can be written as
ASCII already. PCB library files, as I recall, do not have that option, but
it is not difficult to work around this. Simply create a PCB with one copy
of every part in the library and then write that PCB file as ASCII. You can
autoplace the parts by generating a library report and massaging that into
Protel netlist format. This technique, in fact, is how I imported all my
Tango libraries to Protel.....

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Abdulrahman Lomax
Easthampton, Massachusetts USA