Looks like a bug to me, too.  I understand what Matt is saying -- in
Wordpad, for example, when in overwrite mode, pressing Return does NOT
overwrite the next character, but instead inserts a carriage return.  In
Protel Text Editor, however, neither one happens (in overwrite mode).
Pressing Return does not insert a carriage return, nor does it overwrite a
character with one.  It merely advances to the next line.  And if you're at
the end of the document, it has no effect at all.

(Protel support copied on this... a buglet to fix in Phoenix?)