Ian,

The speed of the Sch:ImportSchematicFromDatabase is probably just as slow as the Sch:UpdatedPartDatabaseLinks. I remember playing with the database links a while back when we got protel98, but couldn't quite get it to do what I wanted. I don't remember how I found the Sch:ImportSchematicFromDatabase process, I probably just found it looking through the process list. I don't recall if this process was ever in a menu, perhaps in 98? A schematic project of 2 or 3 sheets with lots of parts would update in 10 minutes or so. A good time to step away from the computer. Usually what I'll do is, as I am drawing out the schematic, I'll update a few parts at a time, I only takes a few seconds to update 4 or 5 parts at once. As I am drawing the schematic out, it's easy to do it this way. The settings stay, so you just set it up and forget it. All the settings are stored in the ProtelDB99SE.ini in your windows folder. I've added a button in my toolbar to run this process. The only setting you might change is setting the scope - either Current Project, or Current Sheet. It's best to leave the action to Update Only. The other thing you might change is the checkbox to apply the update to just the selected objects. I've got the demo for dxp, around here somewhere, when I can get a chance I'll have to try the new database stuff to see if its faster.
Brad, nope - I'm talking about importing part information into the schematic from a database. I don't recall mentioning using a spreadsheet in my previous post, but it has been a long day :) I wonder if I have stumbled onto a feature of protel you guys haven't found or used yet, it could be time for my 15 minutes of fame :P

chris

--
Christopher Brand