And the dBase database linker: does it even work?  Does it work *well*?

Works to its limits and is very slow. It does not allow the footprint to be updated, for instance.

Greetings All,

I just wanted to chime in with my experiences using the dbase import function of protel. I agree with Ian, it's really slow, but it is managable. I am hoping this is improved in protel dxp. I really wish that it worked with other types of databases, like mysql or postgresql. I am using the process Sch:ImportSchematicfromDatabase. The way I have it setup is by using the 16 partfields. I use part field 3 for the in-house company part# which I key off of. Part fields 1 and 2, I have setup to be visible on the schematic. I use Part fields 1 and 2 for extra part information, like power ratings on resistors, voltage ratings on capacitors, and general descriptions. The other part fields are used for other information about the part. I have a dbase database setup with all the information on the part including the footprint. I key off of part field 3, and the import function puts everything into the part, the part type, footprint, and the other part fields. You can also use it to import the proper schematic symbol (lib ref field) as well. You can update the whole schematic project, just the current sheet, or just the selected components. It works like a charm for me :)

For example: on a resistor once I update it, it looks something like this:

/ R1 <-Designator
\ 10K <-Part Type (imported from database)
/ 1/4W <-Part Field 1 (imported from database)
\ 5% <-Part Field 2 (imported from database)

It now has all the relevant information in there including the footprint. Ian, I am not sure why you said the footprint can't be updated, perhaps your thinking of another method of importing the data? or perhaps I misunderstood something somewhere. For me, this works really well. The only problems I have with it is the if your updating alot of parts at the same time, it can take quite a long time, several minutes or more. It does give you a chance to take a quick break though :) This I hope gets addressed in a service pack or in the new dxp.

Here is a portion of my ProtelDB99SE.ini file showing how I have the references to the database setup:
[Import Primitives]
Primitive0=Part

[Import Attributes for Part]
Attribute0=DESC14 >> Library Reference
Attribute1=FOOTPRINT >> Footprint
Attribute2=DESC1 >> Part Type
Attribute3=DESC2 >> Part Field 1
Attribute4=DESC3 >> Part Field 2
Attribute5=PARTNUM >> Part Field 3
Attribute6=MAX_DESC1 >> Part Field 4
Attribute7=MAX_DESC2 >> Part Field 5
Attribute8=ZONE >> Part Field 6
Attribute9=UNITCOST >> Part Field 7
Attribute10=SMT >> Part Field 8
Attribute11=QTY >> Part Field 9
Attribute12=TYPE >> Part Field 11
Attribute13=HARDWARE >> Part Field 12
Attribute14=STATION >> Part Field 13
Attribute15=DESC15 >> Part Field 15
Attribute16=DESC16 >> Part Field 16

[Key Attributes for Part]
Attribute0=Part Field 3

[Import Primitive Filenames]
Part=X:\Database\partmaster.dbf

If you have any questions, just ask away.
Chris

--
Christopher Brand