More like trying to estimate how many ACTIVE users are willing to pay
for ATS (buy taking up the 'offer').

No of licences sold does not neccessarily mean that they are all active.
Only active users will interest them, as that amount will then set what
they see as a 'market price' for maintainance (overheads vs qty) and
they are not doing it for our benifet thats for sure. It would have been
nice to get the bugs out of 99SE (and 99 & 98 &...) but if they ever
left us with a bug free version before introducing a new one, how many
users would just stick to that platform and not upgrade?.

Asking por proof of 'purchase or ownership' is quite fair for a vendor
to ask for, but if the offer was genuine why not just post it to all
valid users??????

BR

John