My experience with Xilinx parts is that there is no easy way to create them
period.  The newer parts may be different when used with the newer xilinx
tools, but the older parts i have to support are a royal pain. These parts
were done in OrCad or Viewlogic then converted through a series of
nightmarish steps to be compiled under XAct. The worst of these was trying
to pull up a 10 year old copy of OrCad to change one little gate then
trying to translate that into something a 10 year old version of XACT could
compile. Of course the fact that the library symbols used haven't been
supported since 1993 didn't help. I gave up and that board will be
redesigned using Alterra parts.

I have used Protel PLD to create GALs with much success, but then I had
used CUPL for that purpose in the past.. I do not like PLDs created in
schematic capture and my experience trying to support the ones I inherited
that were done in schematic capture has led me to conclude that it is a big
mistake.

With Xilinx you have to be careful what library items you use and make sure
that the correct XNF for the library items are used by the Xilinx tool.  If
this is a current Xilinx part supported by the current Xilinx tools I would
use VHDL or Verilog to create the source files than use the Xilinx tool to
compile it.

Rob