On Wed, 27 Feb 2002, Abd ul-Rahman Lomax wrote:

> Here is what Mr. Reagan was talking about. Double-click on a no-net track
> that is, say, on the top layer. If you don't have a no-net, just put a
> piece of top layer track down, it will automatically be no-net unless it
> touches a real net.

Yep - loads of no-net stuff lying around, after deleting all the
components in a functional block - which left behind the tracks that I'm
trying to kill.

> Press the Global button. Under Attributes to Match By, select "same." Under
> layer, you might want to select "same" as well. Click on the Selection box,
> then click on okay. All top layer no-net track will be selected.

Nope. Really, no. It doesn't. It selects the connected copper, _not_ all
no-net tracks. (or it might be remembering a net-name from ages ago, or
almost anything. What it doesn't do is what it should...).
I wonder if features which were originally on a net but have had their
connectivity removed, behave differently to brand new no-net features...
(just checked - this would appear to be the case. Features which used to
be on nets, but which now aren't, as a result of deleting the parts they
were attached to, and updating the PCB with "assign net to connected
copper" ticked, don't fall properly back to no-net, and therefore don't
get globaled properly. I now think this is a bug, rather than my
confusion.

> You could leave out the "top layer" match, but then all no-net track,
> including track on mechanical layers, etc., will be selected. If you object
> was to delete no-net track, you would not want that, so you would need to
> unselect it. Instead, selecting track one layer at a time is reasonably easy.

What you say is true, except that selecting on "no net" doesn't select all
no-net tracks / features.

Steve