You'll generally find that the flat screen trinitrons being sold today
are going to give you about the best image available. Newer CRT
technology is a significant improvement to the older 21 inchers.

As an asside, someone in my lab recently got a sony SDM-M81 LCD monitor.
It has a 1280x1024 resolution and excellent viewability (i.e., it's
really easy on your eyes). When properly adjusted, it is the crispest
image you'll ever get and it doesn't suffer from view angle color
distortion like some older model LCDs. Unless you get the digital model,
it runs for about $700 ( Check the web because there is a competitor
that has the same product without the digital interface for this price).
I know there is a larger screen format out there that is 1600x1200 and I
imagine it costs more. BTW, I did a comparison of digital video to
analog for this monitor and could not tell the difference. Maybe at
higher resolutions it makes a difference, but certainly not at 1280x1024.

Anyway, that's my two cents. Hope it helps.

Bryn Wolfe

--
Name   : Bryn Wolfe
Title  : Robotics Engineer