From: Andrew Jenkins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Protel EDA Forum <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thursday, 7 March 2002 02:59
Subject: Re: [PEDA] Query MAnager

>On 02:17 PM 3/7/2002 +1100, Linden Doyle wrote:
>
>>Hi All,
>>

>> >IMHO it would be MUCH more useful if it offered true LOGICAL AND
>> >functions instead of the LOGICAL OR functions that it uses
>> >

>>Maybe I've got hold of the wrong end of the stick here, but I thought it
>>already did an "AND" function.
>>
>>For example, I just wrote a query that selected:
>>    all pads with holes = 32thou AND
>>    all components with comment = 4u7 AND
>>    all fills on the Top Overlay layer.
>>(Not useful but it demonstrates my point)
>>Hit APPLY and all three object types are selected.
>

>If I understood your post correctly, AND results in ANY object having the
above characteristics being displayed.

>However, a True logical AND query (by definition) would result in only the
_intersection_ of the three categories above, ie, only pads with 32mil
holes, that are ALSO 4uF, AND are ALSO fills on the top layer.
>(example is kinda moot, since pads don't generally have 4uF of capacitance,
nor are pads fills...)

>Anyway...In a true logical AND query, all other objects would be dismissed
from the query. What you have described (as I understood your post) is
instead a logical OR query, not a logical AND query. That is, the result is
true (display the object) if it is EITHER a pad with a 32 mil hole, OR 4uF,
OR a fill on the top overlay.