In Mr. Doyle's example, the "AND" is not acting as a "logical" AND -- it's
an OR, that is, the result is the addition (union) of the selections, not
the intersection.

HOWEVER, I then tried using the same "object type" in multiple selections,
and in that case, it WAS a boolean AND.  For example:
   select all component.footprint which are equal to 0603T AND
   select all component.x which are less than 3000
resulted in ONLY those 0603T's which were also left of the 3-inch mark.

Obviously(?), when using different object types, one wants the result
additive, since the intersection would always be empty.  But when using the
same object types, it would be nice to have a choice between AND and OR.  I
was wrong -- it does do logical AND.

So the only limitation is that it cannot do logical OR when the object types
are the same.