Kiernan,
You may have produced the components pads with a "fill" area rather then
a pad definition. A fill area would be painted by available round
apertures (gerber legacy) resulting in radii at the corners. A pad is
defined in the gerber data as a particular shape and is "flashed" at
it's origin.
On the other hand you've say the pads are very tight, but don't say how
tight. If your working with .005" square pad you may be seeing the
bottom end of Protel resolution.
Good luck,
John