At 11:09 AM 2/5/2002 +1100, you wrote:
>Yes, but the power connections are made through the Vias are they not?
>There are over 100 ground and 3.3V/2.5V balls that connect to internal
>planes through Vias. At least for this particular BGA. Therefore, wouldn't
>the thermal effects still be relevant in this case?

         Actually, a related question I had that seems to tie in to this one...

         I have been told by some engineers that they often like to put a
'via per pad' when working with BGAs, especially when doing prototypes.
Part of the reason for this being you have all of the connection-points on
the BGA part available as testpoints and/or solderpoints on the opposite
side of the board for those lovely last-minute fixes on prototypes. (Also,
several companies make direct BGA<->PGA snap-in adapters for prototyping
that keep the EXACT BGA footprint extended into PGA, making it possible
(from what I have been told by a sales rep) to open up your vias and simply
drop their adapter in as a fine-pitch PGA thru-hole device. When it comes
time to do a production run, you simply shrink the diameter of the vias and
attach your BGA devices normally.)

         I can obviously see that putting vias into the pads directly could
potentially cause 'robbing' to occur if too large of a diameter was used,
as well as the 'thermal stressing' due to cooling from power planes. (Colin
mentioned 'plugging' vias under the BGA - is there a way to do this without
using blind/buried? I'm unfamiliar with the term...) I have also been told
by an assembly technician that a lot of times they prefer all BGA pads to
have a via in them for thermal conduction from the other side, as it can
potentially help the reflow process.

         My question (for the BGA masters out there!) that may help to
partially answer the question about thermal relief for the vias... Do you
typically place your vias directly IN the pads, or do you create an array
of vias offset from the actual landing pads? (I've seen the 'offset via'
approach documented by several companies in various appnotes) In the direct
via-in-pad approach I can see the need for the thermal-separation as was
mentioned... But in the offset-grid approach, I suppose it wouldn't matter,
since not much heat will theoretically get conducted across the trace from
BGA pad to via to make an appreciable difference.

         Any comments about this from those who have worked with BGA?
Trying to get all of the facts, since some upcoming designs we are planning
on working on need to be based on parts only available in BGA. :/

         (P.S. THANK YOU again to all of the folks that replied to my
question last week concerning autorouting vs manual routing! You all are an
absolute goldmine of technical knowledge. Thanks for sharing!)

-- Matt