An option that would help in this regard (not in remembering to do it,
though!) would be to have an "Open read only" command/facility.  Access has
this.  In the Open dialog box, adjacent to the Open button is a drop-down
that includes "Open read-only" and "Open exclusive".

This would get around the problem of folks not being able to change the file
attributes, be quite a bit quicker, and eliminate the issue of forgetting to
change the file attributes back.