[cut]
> In my view, the best practice is to avoid crossed connections
> *and* to use
> connection dots on the T connections.

Absolutely!  Any opportunity for ambiguity is best avoided.

> >I also remember that there are a few exceptions to the "4 way
> >connection" rule, specifically where there were symmetrical circuits
> >involved such as a dual power supply (positive and negative) where all
> >the capacitors came together at ground in the middle.
>
> I disagree that this is best represented with a cross wire tied with a
> connection dot. It is quite simple to jog one or both connections, or to
> stagger the capacitor placements. The former takes a little less space.
>
> The point of avoiding crossed connections is that (1) it can be read more
> quickly, especially if the tie dots are small and (2) errors from omitted
> tie dots won't happen (if floating wires are flagged with warnings).

and (3) after the hard copy in the documentation becomes a nth-generation
photocopy you can be sure that the blob at the crossover *isn't* meant to be
a connection!  (We were taught this rule a few years back in the days of
dyeline prints from 'pencil on drafting film' schematics, and although
modern photocopiers are a lot better it's still worth following).

Regards,

Andy Gulliver