Jon,
        I use the process that you describe all the time, Shift-Delete.
However, the location of your cursor doesn't matter! I just tested it,
selected a number of components and traces, moved my cursor about 10 inches
away from the board outline (or any selected item), Shift-Delete, all
selected items were deleted.

Sincerely,
Brad Velander.

Lead PCB Designer
Norsat International Inc.
Microwave Products
Tel   (604) 292-9089 (direct line)
Fax  (604) 292-9010
email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.norsat.com

See us at Booth S8155 at NAB 2002 in Las Vegas April 8 - 11.