From: Mark E Witherite [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: 09 April 2002 15:34
To: Protel EDA Forum
Subject: Re: [PEDA] WANTED: PCB Expert (Off Topic)

Hi Igor,
           There were many other post to this subject.  Have you examined
the gerbers?  The only reason I could think of to use such a thick nickel
plating would be to provide some EMI shielding.  If that were the case then
I would suspect there would be polygons.  Jason never  verified that the
nickel plating was 1.1 mils.  I also assumed that all the most common
problems have been investigated.  That's a bad assumption.  This last year
I learned that a board house is only as good as it's production
employees.  a company that was once a NASA's top ten list, sent me batch of
boards with two nets shorted.   And yes they were ordered with bed of nails
testing.
Lastly I did the math on the expansion ( assuming low stress nickel).  I
only got a difference of  about 4mils  in the two metals.  I would think
that this would only cause a bow of less than 4 mils.  Sorry for shooting
off  before I pick up the calculator.  I would still like to know if the
nickel plating thickness was really 1.1mil.  How about it Jason ?  Are you
still monitoring this thread?
Cheers
Mark

At 08:47 AM 4/9/02 +1000, you wrote:
>Agree witht that. Also, there seem to be no polygons placed on the routing
>layers, which might add to the problem.
>
>Igor

PCB