> (Steve Hendrix Wrote):
> > by the financial types. Looks like I'm stuck with P99SEsp6,
> warts and all,
> > until that next entrepeneur gets going. Hmmm, my degree is
> in computer
> > science (I started out doing mostly programming), and I've
> now got a lot
> of
> > experience designing PC boards so I also know the user side
> of things.
> Maybe
> > a new business opportunity here.....
>
> (Ivan Baggett Wrote):
> OK, Steve, assuming you did so, how long would it be before
> you get "bought
> out" by the big boys with their bean counters, lawyers, and
> marketdroids?
> ;-)

That's what he's hoping for - to be bought out and retire...

> But seriously, if you do so, please target it for Linux.  I
> don't know how
> much longer I will be using Windows.  I suppose the next time
> I have to
> upgrade CAD hardware (2+ years I hope), or W2K loses it's
> usefulness, and
> Wine or Win4Lin becomes nearly bulletproof I'll make the
> complete switch to
> Linux.  As it is now, I've got one Linux box running as an
> internet gateway
> and Samba server.  It's great.  Now if Linux could just get more
> desktop-friendly.

I don't see what the problem is with Linux on the desktop, IMO it's more
"friendly" than Windows, at least to my way of working. I find I spend a
great deal of the day at work in win2k using a bash shell under Cygwin. Much
more productive than fighting with Explorer. The fact that there's more than
one window manager is a strength, not a weakness.

> Note that just because you write an app for Linux does not
> mean your app has
> to be open source.  So you *could* make money on it and not
> have to give
> your code away to the world.  But please make the file
> formats publicly
> documented!

Try out Eagle - http://www.cadsoft.de - they even have a free version for
non-commercial use (limited to 2 layers, 80x100mm pcb, one sch sheet). Linux
and Windows versions available. Has a few features that make Protel look
pretty primitive, but then Protel has many features that make Eagle look
primitive.

I've been trying to get Protel to run under WINE in the last few days
without any luck. It chokes on the installer (known issues with
installshield v6). I haven't yet installed it under win4lin and then tried
to run the installed version, though; I'll have to dust off win4lin.

Wine seems to have taken great strides since I last used it - I can actually
run some useful software now (Altera MAX+Plus II baseline and Analog devices
ADuC812 downloader software, for instance).

Cheers,
Matthew van de Werken
Electronics Engineer
CSIRO Exploration & Mining - Gravity Group
1 Technology Court - Pullenvale - Qld - 4069
ph:  (07) 3327 4685     fax:  (07) 3327 4455
email:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]