Brad,
        IPC is telling designers that documentation is something that is
determined by the designer and the board house. Some designs are so complex
they require full documentation others are simple enough that one could get
away with limited documentation. If your design is going to be mass-produced
(multiple board houses, or you change board houses regularly) full
documentation would be more than useful. This insures that the product that
was produced by board house one closely resembles what was built by board
house two, and there is a clear understanding on what need to be done. Get a
hold of IPC-D-125A you can get the list of drawings that can be used/needed
to build on a large scale production by multiple board houses. Here is a
list of some of the drawings that could be used; Drill pattern, Printed
board profile (dimensions of the board), Master drawing with fab notes,
(drawing for each layer with flags for important fabrication notes), master
drawing for assembly info.
        When I started here the engineers that where laying out the designs
used no documentation at all. The first board I sent out I must have
received 50 calls about everything and anything regarding the manufacturing
of the board. Now I only get one or two calls regarding the fabrication and
or assembly of our designs. I use full documentation because I know I will
not be here forever, and I want to make the next designers job much easer by
knowing what I was trying to produce.
        Again, like I said you need to have a good relationship with the
board manufacture and assembly house to find out what they need. In the end
it is always about making your job easer.

Regards,

Ted