Thanks Ted.
        OK, do you know the new IPC number for that IPC-D-125 standard? Just
checked both my IPC catalogue and the online search, nothing!

        Is it now called IPC-A-325 by chance? Is this the one used to
specify documentation and nothing but the mountains of documentation? I
believe that I have seen it years ago.

        As for your comments about your experiences and practices, right
bang on the money as far as I can compare with my experiences. Early in my
career I would get boards from vendor A, they were great. Need boards from
vendor B and they would vary significantly, their excuse would be that I
hadn't defined enough information for them to fabricate or assess
acceptability. Thus the God created Fab Dwgs and the populace saw that Fab
Dwgs were good. 8^> Oh forgot to mention, all the times that I got called to
the assembly line because a hole size was wrong and they couldn't fit a
component into the board. After the creation of fab drawings, they no longer
called me, they also no longer started producing the boards only to find a
problem somewhere down the assembly line. Why? Because they now checked (QC
- you know that little ugly insidious word) incoming boards and knew that
they were correct before they fired up the production line.

        Ted, I hear you all too clearly, I don't know why so many others are
adamantly against this practice to the point where they try to shame us into
the fact that we are weird, anal or just love doing excess work. I am as
lazy as the next person but I also don't want to get ripped off for product
which doesn't meet my (the company's) needs. I have come to realize although
a fair number of the participants to this list server are very bright people
and their knowledge sound, however they have exposure to only one or two fab
houses for years and years on end. Seems to develop a tunnel vision
mentality that makes them feel secure in their less than ideal practices.
Then they try to preach to us, the already devoted. I developed my undying
adoration for Fab dwgs at one employer where we purchased our PCBs in
various shops usually located in China, Hong Kong, Singapore, India or
Korea. Try doing that without very complete and thorough Fab Dwgs. You (and
your employer) won't survive long without Fab Dwgs.

Sincerely,
Brad Velander.

Lead PCB Designer
Norsat International Inc.
Microwave Products
Tel   (604) 292-9089 (direct line)
Fax  (604) 292-9010
email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.norsat.com

Visit us at Booth 2G2-09 at CommunicAsia 2002 in Singapore June 18-21.

<SNIP>