Abd ulRahman Lomax wrote:

> At 10:06 AM 6/13/2002 -0400, Watnoski, Michael wrote:
> >When the Gerbers are generated without the 'Use Software Arcs' box
> >checked, parts of polygon copper pours become complete arcs where they
> >outline some pads.  This is not a problem on the board design.  These arcs
> >short to adjacent polygons and tracks.  It seems to work OK when the box is
> >checked.  I verified the Gerber files using Lavenier ViewMaster and LPKF
> >BoardMaster and they look the same.  I have not checked the ASCII output of
> >the Gerber file yet, but I suspect that the angles of the included arc are
> >not generated properly.   Has anyone else seen this problem?
>
> It will be good to see the answer to Mr. Watnoski's question before going
> much further; I usually check the box out of long-standing habit (Tango did
> not even have a gerber arc output option, so all arcs were "software arcs.")
>
> There may be some problems with variants on RS-274X, as one speculation,
> sometimes the standard is a bit unclear, it used to be positively ambiguous
> on the matter of polygonal pads, which is why Protel's octagon plotting is
> so defective.
>
> By all means, I would look at the output code, probably by exploding the
> polygon on a copy of the board file, deleting everything on the board but
> the relevant arc, and generating gerber, comparing the Protel arc
> parameters with those in the gerber.

One thing he should try is to regenerate the Greber files at the highest
numeric resolution (2.5).  Roundoff errors could cause the described
problem if the arcs were small.  He doesn't mention whether importing
the gerber files back into Protel shows the problem, or doesn't.
That might be useful info.

Jon

* Tracking #: 18435314E4A14544AA35BAD9887EE3A051424D20