At 10:06 AM 6/13/2002 -0400, Watnoski, Michael wrote:
>When the Gerbers are generated without the 'Use Software Arcs' box
>checked, parts of polygon copper pours become complete arcs where they
>outline some pads.  This is not a problem on the board design.  These arcs
>short to adjacent polygons and tracks.  It seems to work OK when the box is
>checked.  I verified the Gerber files using Lavenier ViewMaster and LPKF
>BoardMaster and they look the same.  I have not checked the ASCII output of
>the Gerber file yet, but I suspect that the angles of the included arc are
>not generated properly.   Has anyone else seen this problem?

It will be good to see the answer to Mr. Watnoski's question before going
much further; I usually check the box out of long-standing habit (Tango did
not even have a gerber arc output option, so all arcs were "software arcs.")

There may be some problems with variants on RS-274X, as one speculation,
sometimes the standard is a bit unclear, it used to be positively ambiguous
on the matter of polygonal pads, which is why Protel's octagon plotting is
so defective.

By all means, I would look at the output code, probably by exploding the
polygon on a copy of the board file, deleting everything on the board but
the relevant arc, and generating gerber, comparing the Protel arc
parameters with those in the gerber.

The RS-274X standard is at:
http://www.maniabarco.com/transdown/rs274xrevd_e.pdf

Abd ul-Rahman Lomax
LOMAX DESIGN ASSOCIATES
PCB design, consulting, and training
Protel EDA license resales
Easthampton, Massachusetts, USA
(413) 527-3881, efax (419) 730-4777

* Tracking #: 604CB06782BA634EACE8C1C68843AB771FDEAB1F