Rene,

3.0 had at least 1 SP. 98 had 3 SP.  99SE was at SP6.

Past performance may not be an indication of future performance,
but,  for fun,  try the following:

Superimpose an "imaginary" ATS program (had one existed at the time) over the SP
release dates of 99SE,  and ask yourself which service pack level you would now be
running at,  had you only the one year of included ATS?  Assume you bought P99SE on
the first day it was released.

Would running at that SP level have been acceptable to you?   Or would
you have "required" an update?

---Phil