At 05:46 PM 8/15/2002 -0400, Matt Daggett wrote:
>http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/4/26517.html
>
>http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/4/25956.html

This was in response to a request for a source for the information given in
a previous post:

>Also if anyone is thinking about installing Win2K SP3 better real the EULA
>very closely.  I basically gives Bill the ability to remotely install/remove
>applications/drivers.

I've done two things.

(1) I went to the URLs given. They are references to articles asserting
what Mr. Dagget reported. The language of the articles is not sober, they
are polemic.

(2) Then I used Windows Update to obtain W2000 SP3. I read the user
agreement carefully. It contained no provision similar to what was reported.

It is possible that it *did* contain such a provision, but that Microsoft
removed it upon complaint. The provision itself, as reported, was rather
vague in import. It could be interpreted to mean only that the software can
do what it has long done, with user consent. This was the provision:

>"You acknowledge and agree that Microsoft may automatically check the
>version of the OS Product and/or its components that you are utilizing and
>may provide upgrades or fixes to the OS Product that will be automatically
>downloaded to your computer."

with a few caveats and protections, I support, actually, that being part of
the user agreement. Unpatched operating systems on computers connected to
the internet are a security hazard that affects everyone, since these
computers can be and have been used for DOS attacks, etc.

Yes, the same technology could be used for a sinister purpose. But the
action agreed to is fairly narrow: "may ... check the version," and "may
provide upgrades or fixes ... that will be automatically downloaded to your
computer."

This does not allow Microsoft to, for example, check to see what other
non-Microsoft software you have installed on your computer. And any user
running firewall software can easily disable internet access for the update
program.

It is not explicit that such actions may be performed without immediate
user notification. Maybe so, maybe not. Usually, however, OS patches
require a system reboot to complete installation. Perhaps Microsoft would
report the desireability of this reboot to the user.

I trust Microsoft in certain ways and not in others. I do not trust them to
always act in my best interest. But I do trust them to -- not without error
-- follow their own privacy policy and, obviously, to provide an operating
system that does the job with reasonable safety and security. The provision
described would help that.

If they have taken it out, that would probably mean that they will continue
to warn and allow users to opt out, at least, of any update or update process.

* Tracking #: 49746EBDF829634A8114D18D1679FDF39DE4F533