> Unified libraries... I expect the list will go on... I must try out the
new
> autorouter some time.

I admit I have only tried the autorouter with minimal training with
disastrous results but I thought that was probably my ignorance in setting
it up properly.  I then went to load the demo boards that came with DXP and
viewed the surface mount designs autorouted by Altium to see what someone
who knows how to use Situs could produce.

Rather than describe what I found, I will just point to a few areas out of
several:
Project:  C:\Program Files\Altium\Examples\PCB Auto-Routing\PCB
Auto-Routing.PrjPCB
1.  GND routing on bottom layer between R288 & R31
2.  VDD routing on bottom layer at C140
3.  8 layers and no power planes?
4.  GND routing near U2 pin 34
5.  U94 pin 27 takes an unnecessarily long path to it's destination.
6.  VDD routing near C60
7.  Numerous acid traps throughout the design.

Project:  C:\Program Files\Altium\Examples\PCB Benchmark\PCB
Benchmark.pcbdoc
8.  routing of R435 pin 2
9.  routing of U16 pins 38 & 40 to R336 pin 2.
10.  U59 pin 13 & pin 12.
In general "PCB Benchmark.pcbdoc" is better than the "PCB
Auto-Routing.PrjPCB" but there are still several areas that need
improvement.

If this is the best that a trained Situs user can produce, I am not
impressed at all.  I wonder what the yields of these designs would be in a
real production environment.

Rob

Rob Young
Design Engineering Consultant